- The shorter the label the better. The best foods have no label at all – they are fresh produce.
- If it is a long label with small print – probably avoid
- If you can’t pronounce it – don’t eat it
- Buy organic when possible
- If your Grandmother wouldn’t understand the ingredients – don’t eat it
- The less your food is “doctored”, the less you need a doctor
Ingredients to avoid
- Common Foods containing gluten or gluten cross reactors: oats, pasta, pancakes, breads, baked goods, beers, commercially made soups, soy sauce, condiments, many chips and snacks.
- Common Grains that include gluten: wheat( all purpose flour, enriched flour, cake flour, whole wheat flour, wheat berries), barley, bulgar, farina, durum wheat, semolina, kamut, farro, rye, spelt, triticale
Genetically Modified Foods (GMO). Ex: Soy, Corn, Canola oil, sugar, some produce
- Choose Organic – this has to be GMO free by Federal law
- Excitotoxins like MSG— also commonly known as: soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, yeast extract, calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, textured vegetable protein, yeast extract, natural flavoring, yeast extract, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, caseinate, textured protein, hydrolyzed pea protein and many others.
- Sodium nitrite and nitrate—preservatives added to processed meats
- BHA and BHT
- Potassium bromate
Dairy in all forms: milk, whey, casein – because it fires inflammation
Refined Sugar in all forms: dextrose, brown sugar, cane crystals, cane sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, corn syrup solids, crystal dextrose, evaporated cane juice, fructose sweetener, fruit juice concentrates, honey, liquid fructose, malt syrup, maple syrup, molasses, pancake syrup, raw sugar, sugar, syrup and white sugar. lactose and maltose, high-fructose corn syrup
Other names for High Fructose Corn Syrup:
- Natural corn syrup.
- Maize syrup.
- Tapioca syrup.
- Fructose syrup.
- Fructose isolate.
Artificial Sweeteners: aspartame (Equal, NutraSweet), Sucralose (Splenda), saccharin (Sweet’N Low), acesulfame potassium (ACE K),
Food dyes such as Yellow 5,Yellow 6 and Red 40
The Common Ingredients to Avoid: from: https://naturallysavvy.com/eat/7-scary-food-additives-to-avoid/