Cutting edge research in cellular genetics is showing us that aging is not normal or inevitable. In fact, the top research labs are showing us that Aging is a disease that can be prevented, slowed, and potentially even reversed.
Most of us are going to live longer than we think. Are we going to live better – enjoying high level energy, fitness, and a happy brain throughout our lifespan?
Is there any point in keeping our bodies alive if our brain is failing & we FEEL decrepit & even older than our age?
Is suffering with decay, degeneration, inflammation, pain, fatigue, and depression really living? Is it inevitable? This “accelerated aging & decay” is the root problem.
Extending our health span – so we enjoy high level energy and youthful vitality to the very end of our lifespan is the most important. Imagine, no chronic disease, no need for drugs, no doctor visits for disease problems, no suffering in a nursing home.
It is also about staying healthy to beyond age 100 or beyond age 120 and living our passion and making a difference in the world – right up to the end of our lifespan.
- Aging is not inevitable – it can be prevented and even reversed
- The DNA blueprint to be young is always present – even when we are old
- Most of feeling “old” is not from DNA damage (our computer hard-drive) but from epigenetic problems (our software)
- We have a software backup of youth – even when we are old
- We activate this epigenetic software of youth through:
- Intermittent fasting – this can be done easily with ketogenic fasting
- High Intensity Interval Training – just 15 minutes 2X/week can do the job – especially when combined with Intermittent fasting.
- Low Level Laser Therapy – the kind of lasers we use at Renovare have been shown to directly boost NAD+ and indirectly boost this anti-aging pathway as well.
- Temperature challenges – get warm as in a sauna or summer in Arizona and then get cool as in a cold/cool shower or immersion in an unheated pool in the winter
- Specific nutraceuticals:
- Methylated Resveratrol – Resveratin Plus is what I use.
- Nicotinomide Mononucleotide (NMN) – a NAD+ precursor – needs to be liposomal and combined with trimethylglycine to be most effective. NAD+ Gold from Quicksilver Scientific is best.
- Time released Alpha Lipoic Acid. ALA Max is what I use.
- Berberine, Burdock Root, Curcumin, Tumeric, and Quercitin.
- Great sleep and stress management – Our Peaceful Brain Training Class is a fun, easy way to learn the tools that work best for you
Too much comfort, too much artificial, nutrient-deprived processed food, too little physical challenge, too much stress, too much sitting in the easy chair ACCELERATES our aging. We need some discomfort & challenge to stay youthful.
What if chronic pain, excessive inflammation, diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, cancer, osteoporosis, and arthritis are just SYMPTOMS of accelerated aging & decay? What would happen if be changed our focus to ending this plague of accelerated aging & decay?
The good news is that research with identical twins shows us that only 20% of our aging and health-span is genetic. The rest is our lifestyle choices and is in our hands.
Dr. David Sinclair, Ph.D is a molecular geneticist, professor at Harvard, and leading researcher in aging. His research delves into why we age – the underlying cell mechanisms behind aging. In his excellent book, “Lifespan – Why we Age and What We Can Do About It” explains that aging is not caused by problems with our DNA. Rather, aging results from breakdown in our epigenetic cell repair programs for DNA.
Our genes containing the blueprints to make every protein & body part are the Hardware of our computer. Our epigenetics is the software. Without our software (epigenetics) working properly, our computer is just a heavy piece of frustrating junk.
Like our personal computer, our genetics (DNA) is the hard drive that stores the information and programs. Our epigenetics is our software that includes DNA repair programs. Much like hard drive disc repair programs, our epigenetic software must keep up with repairs or our software becomes corrupted and our computer “ages” and slips towards “dis-ease”.
In our cells, some DNA damage is inevitable and normal. This is not the cause of aging. We have complex DNA repair pathways called “epigenetics” that quickly and efficiently repair our DNA damage when working properly. Failure of these epigenetic “software” programs to keep up with needed “hardware” repairs leads to decay and aging.
You can also think of DNA like a beautiful Steinway Grand Piano. Our Epigenetics is the pianist – the piano player that determines & plays the songs as well as repairing & tuning our piano so we enjoy music (Wellness) rather than the noise, decay, decline, & disease of Aging. We need a skilled and healthy pianist to enjoy the music of Wellness for Life.
Dr. David Sinclair’s research-supported Information Theory of Aging describes aging as a breakdown of our epigenetic software triggered by lifestyle choices that fail to fit our unique needs. This leads to so much DNA damage that our software fails to keep up and our cells breakdown leading to the damage, inflammation, & decay that we call Aging. This is neither normal nor inevitable.
Dr. Sinclair’s lab has shown that there is a backup copy of youth in our cells. In mice, his lab has reset the youthful copy to reverse aging. With cloning, using a cell from an older animal results in a youthful “baby”, not an old baby for this reason.
We have 3 genes on the body that reverse our aging when we turn them on. Jelly fish do this all the time so they don’t age. We are learning to do this in mice, dogs, and even humans.
Three of the major age reversing genes that we all share are called Sirtuins, mTOR, and AMPK. These 3 genes are critical to maintain our youthful, healthy software(epigenome):
- Especially effective at maintaining our youthful epigenomic software
- Activated by methylated resveratrol (pterostilbene) concentrates
- Activated by Nicotinomide Mononucleotide (NMN) – professional-grade supplements that are liposomal formulations combined with trimethylglycine appear the most effective. The formulation I trust and take personally is Quicksilver Scientific’s NAD+ Gold. NAD decline underlies accelerated aging and inflammation. Boosting NAD levels with NMN is key to support:
- Improved mitochondrial function
- Youthful metabolism
- High level stamina and youthful vigor
- Cellular repair and protection
- Improved Brain health: youthful memory, focus, and concentration
Harvard researchers have found that injecting NMN into old mice for just one week resulted in their mitochondria becoming like those of young mice. In fact, when NMN was first give to old mice, they broke the treadmill! The lab staff called it the “Great Mouse Treatmill Failure of 2017” when the old mice exceeded the tracking program limit of 3 kilometers – no mouse of any age had ever exceeded this before! Imagine being able to run an ultra-marathon as a senior citizen.
We can also activate our age-reversing Sirtuin gene with:
- Low level Laser therapy (LLLT) or healing cold lasers like our Erchonia PL-T, FX 405, or EVRL lasers.
The graphic below shows how the LLLT stimulus activates receptors leading to elevated sirtuin (Sirt1) activating the anti-aging effects of making brand new mitochondria (mitochondrial biogenesis), apoptosis (getting rid of decrepit old cells that create disease), and cell protecting anti-oxidant effects.
Intermittent fasting: I use green tea, MCT oil, and Collagen protein in my breakfast drink on my workout days. It increases my strength up to 20%. This carb fasting approach triggers ketosis so I am burning fat for fuel which is much more efficient than burning sugar leading to increased muscle strength & efficiency.
- High intensity interval training – I combine intermittent keto fasting with my NOW-T exercise sessions 2X/week with Austin in our clinic. It takes just 15 minutes of variable resistance training 2X/week to powerfully activate the anti-aging pathways while boosting mitochondrial wellness.
The mTOR/mTORC1 gene pathway (shown above) integrates the signals between food availability and cell growth.
Food available = cell growth. Too much food available = too much growth leading to:
- Atherosclerotic heart disease
- Dementia – esp. Alzheimer’s type
- Polycystic ovarian disease
- Insulin resistance and most of the chronic diseases of decay and aging.
No food available = stop growing and start repairing. We NEED a break from food. Intermittent fasting is a simple, painless way to activate this critical anti-aging signaling.
Inhibiting mTOR turns on the “stop growing and start repairing” switch. Nutrients that also do this include:
AMPK is our master switch for metabolism. It is our “Fat Switch” – when turned on we burn fat for fuel, when turned off we store fat. Critical AMPK activating nutrients include: resveratrol, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Berberine, Burdock Root, Rose Hips, Short Chain Fatty Acids (SCFA’s are made from fiber by a healthy microbiome). Exercise esp. high intensity interval training and fasting also activate this critical youth promoting pathway. My favorite supplements to turn on our AMPK “Fat burning” switch are Glycoberine MX and ALA Max (time released high potency Alpha Lipoic Acid)
For the first time in the history of the world, we have more people over age 65 than children under the age of 5. What are we going to do with an ever-aging population that is decaying with an ever-growing list of chronic diseases headed towards a nursing home? We are facing the bankruptcy of not only our health care systems but our entire economy. This is in addition to the massive pain and suffering of those decaying through excessive inflammation, exhaustion, depression, and dementia. We MUST reverse the terrible decay & aging that plagues our aging population.