Wellness = Energy, Energy, Energy!!!
Our energy comes from our mitochondria which are tiny energy factories packed into our cells – we have 2000 mitochondria packed into the tiny cells of each heart and brain cell.
How well our cell energy factories (mitochondria) generate ATP (the fuel that powers us) determines our biologic age.
We can’t change our chronological age (number of birthdays) unless we lie (not that
anyone we know would ever do that) 🙂
We can change our biologic age – the age we function. We all know people who are age 50 but look and feel age 80 as well as people age 80 who look and feel age 50. My Dad is a great example of the latter.
A key part of aging is losing many of our precious mitochondria. To make matters worse,
our remaining mitochondria suffer damage leading to an energy deficit. Remember,
Wellness is energy, energy, energy. To sum it up:
- number of mitochondria in each cell
- Health & efficiency of those mitochondria
We are as Young as Our Mitochondria!
What can we do to support our mitochondria?
- We can improve the Well ness & functional efficiency of the mitochondria we
- We can make new mitochondria (biogenesis) – at any age!
Improving the Efficiency of Our Mitochondria
If we are not making energy efficiently, we are instead making fat & destructive free
radicals. Here are some steps that are proven to work:
- 635 nm wavelength red coherent laser therapy. The Erchonia professional grade
cold lasers (do not generate harmful heating) are the most effective available
anywhere to do this – with the research to back it up. These healing lasers boost
energy production by our mitochondria between 40 and 50%. An amazing “battery
charge”. This laser photonic energy also triggers multiple anti-aging cellular
pathways. The violet and red laser combination we use also trigger making new
- Eat nutrient dense whole foods and avoid processed foods.
- Avoid the nasty mitochondrial poison, glyphosate (Roundup), which is sprayed on
our crops and concentrated in our vegetables, meats, and processed food. Eating
organic is phenomenally important to minimize exposure. The average American
has 1 pound of this toxin in their body – no wonder we are so fat, sick, tired,
anxious, depressed, and inflamed.
- Eat less sugar and fruit – high levels are toxic to our mitochondria and metabolism.
- Eat more Veggies, quality protein, and healthy fats: Olive, Coconut, Avocado, MCT
oil are good sources.
- Supplement smart – the Core 4:
- A high-grade Multiple Vitamin/Mineral like Mega Multi Pro
- A bioavailable source of high potency magnesium like Acti-mag
- Vitamin K2-D3 at optimal dose based on blood lab testing
- A high quality, clean, bioavailable Omega 3 like Omega Pure 1300 Pro which
is 320% better absorbed than regular fish oil.
7. Advanced Supplementation:
- A probiotic like MegaSpore Biotic to support our Microbiome – the 100
TRILLION bacteria/microbes that live mostly in our gut. Did you know that
our Microbiome talks to our Mitochondria? We MUST have a healthy,
diverse, balanced Microbiome for our Mitochondria to work well.
- Time-released Alpha Lipoic Acid. I use ALA-Max which we have found to be
the most effective form.
- A bioactive high-grade methylated resveratrol. I take our Resveratin Plus (Resveratrol/Pterostilbene Complex) to activate the Sirtuin pathways to turn off the aging cell signaling pathways.
- Coenzyme Ql0 I CoQl0 I ubiquinone – we especially like the more active Ubiquinone form.
- Pyrroloquinoline Quinone I PQQ I Methoxatin
8. Intermittent fasting: I use green tea, MCT oil, and Collagen protein in my breakfast drink on my workout days. It increases my strength up to 20%. This carb fasting approach triggers ketosis so I am burning fat for fuel which is much more efficient than burning sugar leading to my increased muscle strength & efficiency.
9. High intensity interval training – I combine fasting with my NOW-T exercise
sessions 2X/week with Austin in our clinic. It takes just 15 minutes of variable
resistance training 2X/week to powerfully activate the anti-aging pathways while
boosting mitochondrial wellness.
10. Exposure to cold. I use cold (cool in the summer here) showers and cold
immersions in our unheated swimming pool in the winter.
11. Great quality and quantity of deep, restful sleep is profoundly important for our
mitochondrial health and wellness.
12. Effective relaxation techniques – especially meditation
13. Get enough Sunlight while avoiding sunburns – we are “solar powered”.
Making New Mitochondria
This is called mitochondrial biogenesis and can be turned on at any age. Most of
what works to improve the efficiency of our Mitochondria also works to trigger
biogenesis. Here are the top triggers for making new mitochondria:
- Intermittent fasting
- High intensity interval training – I combine fasting with my NOW-T sessions
2X/week with Austin in our clinic. Takes just 15 minutes of variable
resistance training 2X/week to powerfully activate the anti-aging pathways
while boosting mitochondrial wellness.
- Supplement with bioactive methylated Resveratrol (pterostilbene)