What is the one of the biggest risk factors for getting seriously sick with COVID and ending up in the hospital?
Are your surprised?
“Obesity has been found to be one of the biggest risk factors leading to hospitalization for those with coronavirus.” This is from research our of England. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11355265/coronavirus-is-obesity-risk-factor-covid/
There are multiple reasons obesity creates elevated risk of getting sick:
- Obesity is caused by poor cellular energy production in our mitochondria. Instead of making energy, we are making fat and free radicals. This starves our immune system of the energy needed to keep us Well.
- Obesity creates massive inflammation which degrades immune function and damages our protective 1st line of defense – our mucosa that covers our nose, throat, sinus, lungs and more.
- Obesity increases our risk of the deadly “cytokine storm” in which our dysfunctional immune system destroys the virus in our lungs and then gets stuck “ON” and damages and destroys our lung tissues. This can lead to massive drops in blood pressure, organ failure, and death.
Is now a good time to binge on junk food, binge watch TV or play video games, and stress out on depressing fear-based news?
Most of our obesity epidemic is caused by metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance. How do we help our metabolism so we can release fat and get healthier?
Metabolic Syndrome Repair Basics
- Fix the Brain and Body on Fire
- Fix Blood Sugar and Insulin Regulation
- Take a break from the sugar (esp. hidden sugar in processed foods) and from the grains that quickly convert to sugar
- Avoid liquid sugar like the plague
- Sodas (both the sugar loaded and artificially sweetened)
- Fruit juices
- Supplement Smart
- Increase Colored Veggies, healthy fats, and prebiotic & fermented foods (See microbiome chapter and Eat Smart Chapter)
- Restore your sleep
- Add some movement – an active lifestyle is better than torturing yourself with occasional visits to the gym that you hate. A brisk morning walk and another after dinner do far more than we realize.
- Drink at least two quarts of filtered water per day.
- Get help with sugar addiction. See the section on Neurotransmitter support. Must deal with the major underlying causes. Often serotonin depletion, living on the hormones of stress – a life out of balance. A brain out of balance – neurofeedback and meditation can be quite helpful.
Why COVID Death Rates are Artificially Elevated
Since very few of the mild cases are being tested or counted, the death rates tend to be artificially elevated. The actual death rates are likely comparable to our most recent H1N1 flu epidemic.
For example, if 1000 COVID cases occur, and we count only those 100 cases with moderate to severe symptoms (top to the pyramid) and have 10 deaths, we have a 1% death rate. If we count all 1000 COVID cases, we now have a .1% death rate. Our most current flu outbreak had a .1% death rate.
Perhaps this is why some estimates of COVID death rate are as low at .1%?
Jason Oke at the University of Oxford thinks not all of the deaths attributed to the coronavirus are caused by it. He points out that while there is an excess of deaths in Italy according to EuroMOMO, a public health monitoring organisation, it isn’t as large as that during the last bad flu season in 2016. His team thinks the infection fatality rate could be as low as 0.1 per cent.
Did we fear the flu and resort to massive fear and disruption of our country over the flu? Are we reacting in a rational way to COVID?
Perhaps we have nothing to fear but fear itself – as long we have a reasonably healthy immune system?
Perhaps focusing on building our immune system should be our primary focus?
My top Nutritional Supplements to build immune function:
- Vitamin K2-D3 I recommend 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 along with 360 mcg of Vitamin K2 (MK 7 version)
- Mega Multi Pro or another high grade multiple vitamin/mineral designed to be used at 3 or 4 capsules per day.
- Zinc Glycinate – highly absorbable form.
- Vitamin A – Bio AE Mulsion Forte is my favorite at 15 drops 3X/day
- Vitality C – at 8 to 16 grams per day.
- Biocidin – a synergistic blend of 17 herbs and essential oils with over 30 years of clinical use.
- Brain Relax Max – reduce stress and boost cellular energy to power our Immune system.
Call 623.776.0206 for a complimentary consult with one of our Renovare Wellness Mentors to help design a program to best support your immune system.