When things first broke loose in March, I had some fear and uncertainty. Doing the research with due diligence to understand what was really happening helped me come to term with the real issues and move beyond fear. This is what I have come to understand:
- While reducing exposure matters, boosting our immune system matters far more. My understanding is that a stronger immune system is over 90% of the focus and avoiding exposure is much less.
- Reducing exposure to an air-borne virus – flu, common cold, or COVID 19 – is extremely difficult. Masks and distancing have very limited effect.
- Optimizing Vitamin D blood levels has a profound effect on immune Wellness. The published paper in the journal Nutrients 2020,12,2757 suggests that up to 90% of all COVID deaths are from Vitamin D insufficiency.
- Optimizing Vitamin C, intracellular zinc (ionophores important), Essential fatty acids, magnesium, B-Vitamins further boost our immune function.
- Sunlight, sleep, stress management, exercise as well as eliminating junk food and sugary drinks and replacing with a variety of fresh vegetables and nutrient dense foods also help.
- Fear, Fear, Fear is the virus that is most harmful.
- With few exceptions, those who are dying with COVID are those within 6 months of dying from other causes – heart disease, cancer, diabetes, dementia, multi-system organ failure.
- We are 100 Trillion viruses, bacteria, and other germs covered in human skin. Our human cells are outnumbered by the “germs” that live in and on us called our Microbiome. Many of these “germs” are critically important to our healthy and immune Wellness. Learning to take care of our Microbiome is profoundly important for immune Wellness.
- Our misguided efforts to protect the elderly have unleashed a cruel epidemic of anxiety, depression, loneliness, isolation in which many fear being imprisoned in assisted living “prisons”. Many are losing their will to live and dying from isolation. This feels like “cruel and unusual punishment”.
In summary, I feel no fear as I treat patients and am exposed in countless ways to those with the flu, common cold, and COVID 19 virus. My immune system has been keeping me healthy for over 60 years. When I take reasonably good care of my immune system, it takes great care of me.