Our microbiome, the trillions of microbes that live mostly in our gut, help determine whether we are sick or healthy, lean or obese, happy or anxious & depressed. Our microbiome, the bacteria, virus, and fungi that live in us, outnumber our human cells. Like a rainforest, when healthy and balanced, they help keep us healthy. When damaged by our ultra-processed toxic food, antibiotics, and oversterilization, our rainforest is devastated leaving a weed patch. This “mass extinction event” may help explain our epidemic levels of chronic diseases from food allergies to autism, from depression to diabetes, from anxiety to Alzheimer’s, cancer to heart disease.
Keeping our critical gut microbes off the “endangered species list” may be one of the most important factors in managing inflammation and supporting our gut, brain, and body Wellness.
Would you like to learn more? Our recent class on microbiome and gut health is available on our YouTube Channel for Renovare Brain Wellness.
Some steps to get started:
- Eat more fiber.
- Our ancestors ate over 100 grams per day
- Average Americans eat just 15 grams per day starving our microbiome
- Eat LOTS of veggies
- Eat new and different veggies since diverse fiber is super important
- A veggie smoothie is a great way to boost your fiber and diversity (see recipes below) note to Lisa: include the recipes from the class below
- Reduce the processed food – the less our food has been “doctored”, the less we need a doctor. Eat less “dead food” from food coffins – cans, boxes, jars, & plastic.
- Reduce the toxic chemicals that harm our microbiome:
- Avoid drinking chlorinated or fluoridated water
- Use only soap and water for hand washing – avoid the antibacterial soaps and cleaners that harm our microbiome
- Avoid toxic home cleaners – use castile soap, vinegar, and essential oils instead.
- Use only organic pest control
- Supplement with Probiotics that work for you:
- Especially consider the cutting edge spore-based probiotics like MegaSpore Biotic
- Use fermented foods like live sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi etc. The live foods are always refrigerated. Bubbies is one brand to look for.
- Supplement with Prebiotics:
- These feed our microfloura like fertilizer feeds a healthy lawn
- The newest precision prebiotic, Mega Prebiotic, selectively feeds the keystone bacteria that support microbiome health and diversity.
- Supplement with Postbiotics when needed:
- These critical short-chain fatty acids feed the microbiome
- They also support great energy metabolism by signaling AMPK within our cells to switch from fat storing to fat burning.